Training Course On Food Security Analysis
The first priority for development actors in a country is to understand the food security situation of the population. Food security analysts do a wide range of assessments in order to identify hungry and food insecure populations and to establish the underlying causes. They include Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analyses-CFSVAs, Emergency assessments and market analyses-EFSA. To collect, manage and analyze data, they use advanced technologies such as satellite imagery, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and mobile data collection platforms such as smart phones, tablets and Personal Digital Assistants. The world food program is working with partners to establish Food Security Monitoring Systems (FSMS) for continuous monitoring of food security conditions and market prices.
This course targets National governments, UN partners and NGOs whose work informs the policies and programmes that WFP and its partners adopt in order to fight hunger in different circumstances. Employees in the Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Food Security and livelihoods support activities and other Development programmes.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
• Understand the concept of Food security Analysis, have a mastery of its basic concepts.
• Gain knowledge on application of various approaches to Food Security interventions
• Understand the various methods in Food Security analysis and tools and be able apply
• Conduct a community food security assessment; determine a community’s information needs and creating a community food security assessment team
• Have knowledge on policy issues in food security and how to analyze
• Use of GIS and remote sensing in food security analysis
• Monitoring and Evaluation in Food Security Programming
a. What is food security?
b. What is an assessment?
c. What is a food security assessment?
d. What is the objective of a food security assessment?
e. When to conduct a food security assessment
f. The main principles of a food security assessment
g. The different phases of a food security assessment
h. Possible responses to food insecurity
i. How to conduct a food security assessment
i. Step 1: Preparation phase of food security assessment
· How to prepare a food security assessment
· How to define food security assessment objectives
ii. Step 2: Phase of secondary information collection
iii. Step 3: Phase of primary information collection
· How to collect information through observation
· How to collect information through interviews
· What are interviews?
· Who should you interview?
· How to select the people you want to interview
· How to conduct an interview
· Information to collect during interviews
· Interview checklist: what to ask
iv. Step 4: Analysis
j. Policy issues in food security
k. GIS and remote sensing in food security analysis
l. Monitoring and Evaluation in Food Security Programming
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a blended learning approach and comprises of presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise, web-based tutorials and group work. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
i. The participant must be conversant with English.
ii. Upon completion of training the participant will be issued with an Authorized Training Certificate
iii. Course duration is flexible and the contents can be modified to fit any number of days.
iv. The course fee includes facilitation training materials, 2 coffee breaks, buffet lunch and a Certificate upon successful completion of Training.
v. One-year post-training support Consultation and Coaching provided after the course.
vi. Payment should be done at least a week before commence of the training, to DATASTAT CONSULTANCY LTD account, as indicated in the invoice so as to enable us prepare better for you
We also offer online training.
Course Fee: Ksh 80,000, USD 900
Mobile No: +254724527104/ +254734969612
Email Add: [email protected]
Postal Add: 5402-00100
Head Office: Comet House , Along Monrovia Street, Nairobi, Kenya
Visit our website:www.datastatresearch.org